Whether you are a first time travel nurse or an experienced travel nurse, packing for each different location can be difficult. There are so many variables: season of the year, mountains vs. coast, latitude, etc. Then you add in the choice of flying or driving to your new home. One of the best things to remember when packing for a travel nursing assignment: you can always buy supplies when you get there.
One thing to be mindful of is OVER-packing. The bottom line: be realistic. If you only use it a couple times at home within a 3 month period, are you really going to use it while you’re halfway across the country exploring new things? Take a look at this awesome list before you start packing for your assignment!
1. Job Necessities
- Work Shoes
- Compression Stockings
- Pens, penlights (not all hospitals stock disposable lights- bring your own!), trauma shears
- Jackets, sweatshirts, long sleeve tees
- Short sleeve tees, tank tops, camis
- Undergarments and socks
- Jeans, leggings, sweatpants, shorts
- A couple nice outfits (just in case you get invited to a party or go out to eat with friends)
- Shoes: athletic, sandals, slippers, boots, going out shoes
- Hat. sunglasses, belts, and other accessories
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Skin care products
- Contacts/glasses and accessories (contact solution, glasses case, contact case)
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash
- Prescriptions and vitamins
- Make-up bag and make-up remover
4. Kitchen/Living Essentials
- If you’re a chef and have a specialty knife or whisk that you want to cook with, go for it.
- Living room blanket
- Laptop, external hard drives
- Camera & lenses, batteries
- All charging cords
- Hair dryer, straightener, curling iron
6. Outdoor Activity Items
This is an area to take careful consideration as these items can be large in size: bicycle, snowboard, skis, rock climbing gear, etc. If you’ve got a really expensive snowboard and have an assignment in Colorado where you plan on getting a season pass to a ski resort, then it makes sense to bring that board! If you’re driving to an assignment you obviously have so much more room to pack your belongings.
Happy Packing! 😉
APPLY for travel nursing jobs today to get started on your travel adventure!